Friday, October 1, 2010

Giving vs. Giving Back

When did it become a bad thing in this country to work hard and get ahead? This country was founded on the concept of INDIVIDUALS working hard and by proper application of brain power and sweat, improving their station in life. As an American you were not placed in some ridged cast system so where you started determined where you would end. Our country has allowed anyone with the drive and acumen to reach their highest levels. Our history is replete with stories of individuals from humble beginnings becoming mega-successes, and due to the nature of an open system, there are just as many stories of individuals going in the opposite direction.

Now it seems like every time I turn around I'm hearing about the "lucky rich" or how folks should "give back" to society.

Well now I'm just sorry as hell that those who "wish" they had more but have made poor life choices and are now unable to have what some others may have, but my experience is that most of the "rich" earned their money. The idea that they were "lucky" or that somebody "gave" them something so there was some giving "back" in order is completely bogus.

When citizens of this country are given access to a free public school education, where no matter how modest their means, if they apply themselves and their families support them they can even get their college and grad school paid for. For those who are not academically inclined, this country has an extensive technical and community college system they can avail themselves of. Gaining skills that if combined with liberal amounts of sweat and savvy can make them successful.

Opportunity abounds in this country. For those willing to put in the effort they can change their station in life. For those unwilling to do so, I have little sympathy.

So the concept of luck and where people end up in life are seldom connected. Thus the concept of giving "back" is based on a faulty premise.

Having said that, I must also say that "giving" is not! And as is often seen in our society, those who have worked hard and become successful often give generously of them selves. This is evidenced by the many charities that flourish in this country. Everything from the ASPCA to the Salvation Army are funded by people giving, NOT giving back!

What I have said about people achieving on their own does not, of course, apply to those who through illness or injury are unable to successfully fend for themselves. I believe society should definitely step in and help to what ever degree is appropriate.

Understand I am not a wealthy man! I am not in the top 5-10% of wage earners in this country. But I have worked as hard as was necessary to live at the level a want. I could have worked harder and lived higher, but I made a quality quantity choice. Having done so, I don't feel a need to take from those who made a different choice just to improve my standing. To me, taking from someone who has earned what they have to give to someone else is robbery, not some noble act.

Or at least that's the way this old farm boy sees it.

No comments:

Post a Comment